2018-06-07 / News

Wildlife grants available to public

If you own or lease land with electrical transmission lines, you could receive cash grants and professional wildlife management advice to help Georgia ensure healthy wildlife populations.

The project is called WINGS (Wildlife Incentives for Nongame and Game Species) and offers grants up to $1,500 to groups and individuals interested in managing powerline rights- of- way for wildlife.

Funded by Georgia Power, Georgia Transmission Corporation, the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia, and Atlanta Gas Light, Project WINGS is a rights--of-way management campaign designed to convert brush-covered transmission areas into productive wildlife habitat. It is a statewide program that has earned national recognition and is endorsed by a host of private wildlife organizations. The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service is the contact agency for those interested in applying for a grant.

“ If you’ve got power lines crossing property you own or lease, give us a call. The application process is very easy. Along with cash grants, participants also get wildlife management advice to replace tall brushy growth with more wildlife friendly plant species. WINGS fits well with our agency’s mission to help people improve and protect the environment,” District Conservationist Jason Wheatley explained.

Lance Renfrow with Two Rivers RC&D explains the program this way, “It’s a great example of an environmental partnership that benefits consumers, wildlife, wildlife enthusiasts, as well as the electric utilities. The monies that ordinarily go for contracted brush control along electric lines are now offered as wildlife grants to accomplish the same objective, with the added benefit of providing food for wildlife. Utilities can reduce maintenance expenses while the public gets the enjoyment of healthier wildlife such as deer, turkey, quail and songbirds. Project WINGS is definitely a financial and environmental winner for all Georgians!”

Grant applications will be accepted through July 15. To apply for a grant, contact the local USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service office at 706-678-2630 ext. 3.

Return to top